April 5, 2013

REVIEW: The Collector by Victoria Scott

Title: The Collector (Dante Walker #1)
Author: Victoria Scott
Publisher: Entangled
Publication Date: March 25, 2013 (April 2)
Format: eARC* 352 pages
Rating: 5/5 SEALS ;)
Get it: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
He makes good girls...bad.

Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence have made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple: weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.

Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal-opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:

Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within ten days.

Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect, he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector…and uncover emotions deeply buried.

My thoughts, feelings, and reactions
Dante was so bad, he was freaking good.



I have been anticipating The Collector by Victoria Scott for ages. Finally able to dive into it, I can honestly say I have never been so infatuated with a book after just one sentence. Repeating my initial reaction when I finished: It was everything and I’m tucking this book right next to my heart. 


I’m going to come out and say that Dante Walker was infuriatingly sexy. He can talk the talk, walk the walk, and he can bring it to the next level. He was a fine piece of soul collecting, red loving, and big mouth attention grabbing presence of a specimen that I could not help but love to death. It’s not a lie that Dante gets the job done with flare. He’s the best of the best in his job and he’s comfortable in his skin. Dante was extremely clever, arrogant, and daring. Dante was the type of person who gets what he wants, does what he likes, and says what’s on his mind. Honestly, I wanted to punch him in the face and then grab him and kiss him silly. Dante makes me go crazy in the best possible ways. Even when he was being a jerk and even when his thoughts were harsh and cringe-worthy, there was still something about Dante, his attitude, and personality that makes him super attractive. Dante may be bad to the bone, but he has a heart and he can love, just don’t tell him I said that

Speaking of love, there is plenty of romance to go around in The Collector. I absolutely adored Dante and Charlie’s interaction so much. Who would have thought that curly haired and crooked teeth of a cute geeky girl like Charlie would slay big, bad, and cool Dante Walker? She did and it was so amazing to see her break down his walls little by little. These two just made my heart sing! Charlie was quirky and shy in the most sweetest and adorable way. I seriously loved that despite Dante’s distaste at Charlie’s appearance, he sees past it to the good hearted person within. Getting to know Charlie allows Dante to open up, change, and just be a better person. Because of Charlie, Dante goes against everything he has ever known and wanted and learns what it really means to love and sacrifice.


Victoria Scott has done a splendid job at creating, writing, and bringing the infamous Dante Walker to life. She made Dante live and breath this book to perfection. The Collector was a unique book that was clever and brilliantly written. I really enjoyed the paranormal aspects of heaven and hell with its corresponding liberators and collectors, the seals, the golden cuffs, and the soul light of humans. There was so much I wanted to know and learn about what Dante does and it was delivered. Scott gave more than enough to keep me enthralled and mesmerized throughout the whole story. Scott made The Collector fun and addictively entertaining. Once you go in, you can’t stop yourself from wanting more. 



Overall, The Collector had an original take on demons, falling in love, and about beauty being skin deep. This book was more than memorable and is easily able to ingrain itself on the hearts of many. 


Whatever Victoria Scott has next, I want need it!

*Thanks to Entangled for sending a copy for review!

2 comments:

  1. YES! I completely agree with you about Dante and Charlie's relationship - being able to see his walls break down as they got to know each other was incredible.

    I can't wait to read the next book in this series! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEEEEEP JESSIRAE THIS REVIEW MAKES ME SO HAPPEHH. I recently got my eARC of it as well so I'MMA BE READING IT SOON. Dante Walker... yum. And it's freaking awesome that Victoria Scott is able to create this swoon-worthy guy but make him have FEELINGS too. <3 I can't wait to read about Charlie and Dante's relationship. Looovely review, Jessirae!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You rock :] <3