January 21, 2012

REVIEW: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Cover&Summary from Goodreads
Title: Everneath (Everneath #1)
Author: Brodi Ashton
Publisher: Balzer + Bray (HarperCollins)
[To be] Published: 24 January 2012
Format: ARC: 370 pages*

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever. 
She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists. 
Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen. 
As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

Everneath Book Trailer: 




My Review:
Everneath is a spectacular read, but it is also very deep and emotional. It has the perfect mix of humor, romance and mythology. It’s the perfect book for just about anyone. 



Nikki Beckett disappeared into the Everneath with the mysterious Everliving, Cole. In the Everneath, immortals feed on human emotions. Nikki has been in the Everneath for a century, but then she returns. She returns to the life she once knew. However, Nikki only has six months before she’ll be dragged back under. Nikki is determined to make things right with her family, friends and with her old boyfriend she still loves. She wants to say a proper good-bye before she leaves. This time, for good. Most of all, Nikki wants to reconnect with her old boyfriend Jack, but Nikki didn’t come back alone. Cole followed her.



Brodi Ashton’s writing is superb. It’s very easy to read and very gripping and you’re more likely to get sucked into Everneath because of this. The entire book is highly addictive and highly entertaining. There’s not a single moment of boredom at all. I absolutely loved this book with no doubt in my mind and heart.



I love love love the mythology tied into the story. Not only do we have references to Hades and Persephone, but also Osiris and Isis and then add the story of Eurydice and Orpheus. I just died with mythology ecstasy. The mythology in the book is unique, refreshing and not necessarily a retelling. It’s more of a refreshing spin off. Brodi Ashton took an old story and made into this modernized piece of brilliance. Not only did she add mythology, but there’s a touch of paranormal supernatural abilities that just go perfectly into it all. The incredible world of Everneath is so breathtaking. The imagery and descriptions are vivid and very very clear. I could imagine what the Everneath looked like and feel like I was actually there. It was absolutely amazing and exhilarating.

I loved the characters of Everneath, especially Nikki. I found her to be very endearing. I connected with Nikki the moment I read the first page. Even though she was in pain throughout most of the book, I thought she had this unwavering determination that I couldn’t help but admire her for. Nikki herself is the most realistic character I have ever encountered in a book.  In Everneath, I didn’t feel like I was just reading Nikki’s story, but I was there, living it in her place. I was feeling everything she was feeling. The pain and sorrow and emptiness was so prominent with Nikki. That raw emotion was shot through my heart. It was amazing how I instantly became attached to Nikki.

I have to say that I love both Jack and Cole. Jack was a complete sweetheart. His undying love for Nikki was just heartwarming. I loved how he just never gave up. He’s the epitome of a hero and I couldn’t help but love him with all my heart and soul. I know Cole was supposed to be the antagonist, the sort of bad guy, but I just didn’t get that from him. I thought he was mysteriously dangerous, but oh so fascinating. I believed he really cared for Nikki before and after she went under. The connection that Nikki had with both was very intense, but also different. I thought she could go both ways. However, I think Nikki and Jack are just perfect. They’re connection goes deeper than flesh and bone. I felt their pain and longing for one another. My heart couldn’t help but slowly break for them. <3

Overall, I found Everneath to be engaging, originally creative and tragically heart-wrenching. The whole book is absolutely beautiful and will touch you in more ways than one. This book will steal your heart and soul and hold it captive forever.




My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars



*Thanks to Alexa @ Collections for this ARC of Everneath. She rocks! <3





Make sure to stop by Brodi Ashton's BLOG. I hear she's giving away an awesome Everneath Prize Pack *wink*


Pre-order Everneath:
B&N | Amazon | Book Depository

4 comments:

  1. "I know Cole was supposed to be the antagonist, the sort of bad guy, but I just didn’t get that from him." <-- That was my major dislike of the book, but other than that, everything was fantastic. I completely agree with you about Nikki and the interesting spin on mythology :). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Christina, for taking the time to read my review! I really appreciate it :]

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, many people have been reviewing this book lately and it makes me dying to read it as well!! Awesome review, Jessirae!♥ I can't wait to read this book and see what the characters are like! :)

    I'm also new follower to the blog! Looking forward to read more reviews from you! :)

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Celine, thanks so much for your kind words! I really do appreciate it. <3 :] Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You rock :] <3