March 19, 2012

REVIEW: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Title: Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Published: 31 August 2010
Format: First Edition Hardcover; 476 pages
Goodreads Summary:
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos. Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.
Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

My Review:
I’m a huge fan of Cassandra Clare’s. I loved The Mortal Instruments so much that I knew I had to pick up her new Shadowhunter series, The Infernal Devices.

After reading the first three books in The Mortal Instruments, I had very high hopes for Clockwork Angel and I must say that Cassie did not disappoint me one bit. Clockwork Angel is just as exciting and adventurous as her other series. I adore the Shadow World and was glad to be able to dive into the workings of the Shadow World from the 1800s.



I’m not a big fan of historical fiction, but the way Cassie weaves the story with history aspects into the Shadow World was amazing. I was enraptured throughout the whole book. I enjoyed reading and imagining the descriptive places Cassie describes in the book. I love how she added real and fake places in London and I absolutely adore the fact that the book is set in London to begin with. What I love about Clockwork Angel was the fact that I actually understood the writing. I was able to absorb every word on each page. I didn’t struggle with the language at all. 



I specifically love how Cassie always seems to draw you into the book with just the first page alone. Right when I started, I knew I had to keep reading. I just had to know what was going on, had to know who Tessa was and why she became what she is now. I love how Cassie develops the characters so nicely that I was able to fall in love with them instantly. Cassie still added in that mystery where we still don’t know all about characters past and secrets and I think that’s brilliant of her.

I love Tessa’s strength and courage from the start of the book and throughout the whole story. Tessa shines through and through. I absolutely adore her along with her determination and her persistence. I love her independence and just the way she carries herself. She’s another great heroine in the Shadowhunter world. I also love Tessa’s love for books and reading. I can completely relate to her. I also loved Will and Jem. I love how different they are, in some ways they are opposites, but I love their tandem and how well they just work together. I enjoyed their banter throughout the whole book. 




“A little girl robbed you?" Tessa said. "Actually, she wasn’t a little girl at all, as it turns out, but a midget in a dress with a penchant for violence, who goes by the name of Six-Fingered Nigel." "Easy mistake to make," Jem said.” 


While I felt The Mortal Instruments was a lot darker than start of this new series, there’s still plenty of sinister things going on behind the scenes in Clockwork Angel. There’s a lot of fight scenes, a lot of things to discover and there’s betrayal in characters you’ll never expect. 



My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars



4 comments:

  1. I read this one when it first came out but I think I need to re-read it. Love the quote you posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could go on and on about how much I love this series. Tessa is one of my all-time favorite heroines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is Jem *swoon* I would marry him in a heartbeat! *love sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mortal instruments don't really appeal to me, but these books sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You rock :] <3