August 9, 2012

Theme Song Thursday (5)

Theme Song Thursday is hosted and created by my favorite: Jena @ Shortie Says where you choose a book you've read or are currently reading and pair it with a song that you think describes the book and why.

I know I haven't done a TST post in awhile, but in my defense I haven't been listening to much music since I'm trying to catch up with all my review books. I haven't had much time to look for perfect songs for the books I've been reading and blogger as been a big pain in the A lately. It keeps deleting my saved TST posts! ._. Now, that blogger has been cooperating, I thought I'd attempt to make this post!

This week's TST book of choice..

The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test 2.5)
For millennia we've caught only glimpses of the lives and loves of the gods and goddesses on Olympus. Now Aime e Carter pulls back the curtain on how they became the powerful, petty, loving and dangerous immortals that Kate Winters knows.

Calliope/Hera represented constancy and yet had a husband who never matched her faithfulness....

Ava/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and yet commitment was a totally different deal....

Persephone was urged to marry one man, yet longed for another....

James/Hermes loved to make trouble for others-but never knew true loss before....

Henry/Hades's solitary existence had grown too wearisome to continue. But meeting Kate Winters gave him a new hope....

Five original novellas of love, loss and longing and the will to survive throughout the ages.

The songs, the lyrics and the why.
Because this book has 5 novellas and 5 characters, there will be more than one song. One song for each novella with the exception of Henry having more than one song. (:

Breathe - Breaking Benjamin
"You take the breath right out of me.
You left a hole where my heart should be.
You got to fight just to make it through,
'cause I will be the death of you."
This song is all Calliope. It sums up her anger and pain towards all the people that have betrayed and hurt her for years and years, over and over again. Even more significant, it's the start of turning that pain and anger into revenge and hatred. But mostly, it's her song to Walter.  That first line especially is directed to Walter:
"I see nothing in your eyes, and the more I see the less I like."

Baby It's Fact - Hellogoodbye
"My love is true
It's a matter of fact
Oh, and you love me too
It's as simple as that
Baby, our love is true."

I absolutely adore this song and knew that it would be perfect for Ava because in her story she finds true love and happiness in her own way. She pushes away any doubt, fear, inhibitions and everything everyone is saying and just listens to her heart knowing she loves him and he loves her and that's it. No explanations needed.

Going Under - Evanescence
"I'm dying again
I'm going under (going under)
Drowning in you (drowning in you)
I'm falling forever (falling forever)
I've got to break through
I'm going under."
This song is all Persephone. Although I hate her guts, I know she felt trapped in the Underworld with Henry and I could understand that. She felt like she was withering and dying away, slowly having the life sucked out of her and this song describes all her animosity towards Henry and the Underworld and everything that comes with being the Queen of that dark place. And these two lines specifically are directed to Henry:
"Maybe I'll wake up for once (wake up for once)
Not tormented daily defeated by you."

Simple, Starving To Be Safe - Daphne Loves Derby
"Lately I've been thinking so strangely about the clouds
and how they seem to slowly fade away, yeah...
Maybe some day we will find a way to disappear.
Just me and you on silver lining dreams.

Oh, how could I survive without your love
and the hope you bring.
Oh, even when the sky is falling down, I know I have you, and it's all I need.

Lately I've been hoping you can stay with me
And I could hold you close til the end of time...yeah.
Maybe someday we will grab some change and run away
but for now I'll learn to say goodbye."

For James, because in his novella he discovers true love, acceptance, loss, and how to say goodbye to the girl he came to love more than life itself. 

It's You - Ryan Cabrera
"Baby it's you
When I look up in the sky I see you
Then I turn and close my eyes
It's you
When I'm sitting all alone in my room
Everything reminds me of you

The time is slow and I am sinking
Into a hole blackened with lies
And though I made it myself
You stand watching as my life passes me by."

This song is obviously all about Henry's feelings for Persephone in which he can't seem to get over her or let her go and no matter what he does, the memory of her haunts him for centuries.

Gone Away - Safetysuit
"And I just can't figure out why I wasted it all here without you
But I'll be fine, and oh don't you worry
Cause I'll be fine, 
See I'm in a hurry to be gone away awhile, 
Tell me all the things that I
I'll be missing here in this old life
 Man cause I just don't know."

This song describes Henry's despair living without Persephone and his decision to just fade away.
 

She Changes Your Mind - Copeland
"It was your hello that kept me hanging on every word
And your goodbye that keeps me listening for your voice around each corner
It keeps me listening for your voice around each corner."

I chose those exact lyrics from this Copeland song for a reason. If you've read Henry's novella, you probably understand why. Let's just say this song is about Henry when he first meets Kate and of course, the hope he sees in her. :]

What do you think? 

4 comments:

  1. i love evanescence and tnx 4 new songs

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Great songs!!! I haven't read this yet but I can totally see most of them from reading Goddess Test and Goddess Interrupted :) This totally seems to come easy to you!! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an obsession with Evanescence for so long and now I haven't even listened to their new album! xD Love the song you picked out though! I haven't read this yet, but can't wait to get around to it! As well as the first two books--I think its two that are out right now. Is the third one out? Lol I can't remember. That Gone Away song? So haunting! I LOVE IT! I've never heard of the band before until this post. Thanks for sharing Jessirae! You've got good taste in music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not read this book but I love Breaking Benjamin.How have I not heard of Breath before? HOW ???

    Great post :)

    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You rock :] <3