January 16, 2014

REVIEW: Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi (Under the Never Sky #2)
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: January 8, 2013
Rating: 5/5 stars
Get it: Amazon | B&N
It's been months since Aria learned of her mother's death. 
Months since Perry became Blood Lord of the Tides, and months since Aria last saw him.

Now Aria and Perry are about to be reunited. It's a moment they've been longing for with countless expectations. And it's a moment that lives up to all of them. At least, at first.

Then it slips away. The Tides don't take kindly to former Dwellers like Aria. And the tribe is swirling out of Perry's control. With the Aether storms worsening every day, the only remaining hope for peace and safety is the Still Blue. But does this haven truly exist?

Threatened by false friends and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night? 

My thoughts, feelings, and reactions

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi was a spectacular follow up to Under the Never Sky. I couldn’t have asked for a better, more riveting sequel! 

The novel picks up right where UTNS left off with Perry and Aria reuniting. It started off good, a strong lead in to the hope and tension that circulated throughout the novel. The reuniting of my favorite heroes meant good and bad things to come and while I expected some of these things, plenty of times I didn’t.

Through the Ever Night was more than just about Perry and Aria. While there was romance between them, I felt that it was set back to allow more important things to come forward that they needed to deal with. I cannot say that those stolen moments were not cute. I adored them together the most, even if it was short and fleeting. There was definitely more tension between Aria and Perry because of their situation and circumstances and those trials, tests and doubts solidified their relationship for me. 

I felt Aria and Perry grew more individually; strong separately, but stronger still together.  Aria was no longer the lost Dweller, terrified of the outside. She really embraced who she was even though she still struggled with where she belonged. Perry showed a more vulnerable and insecure side when it came to his feelings and his relationship with Aria. He struggled with wanting to protect the Tides while still doing the right thing in the end no matter how much his people disagreed.


Because both Aria and Perry had their own scores to settle, I think this added just a bit more adventure and thrill for the storyline. The friendship between Aria and Roar that was established in the first book definitely deepened in this book. It was probably my most favorite part because their bond was different from the Perry and Aria bond, but just as touching and heartfelt than ever. I liked seeing the previous secondary characters I barely got a glimpse of get bigger parts, even though some of those characters made me want to punch them in the face. 

Plot wise there were many problems the main characters had to face whether they be directly or indirectly related to one another. Each faced a whole lot throughout the novel and it really added depth to everything. This book wasn’t solely set on Aria and Perry finding the Still Blue, though that was their main goal. Other elements were definitely at play (Aether storms, Hess, the Horns, Dwellers vs Outsiders) coupled with Rossi’s talent to really emphasize the world surrounding the characters, there wasn’t room to be bored. There were just plenty of surprising twists that kept me on my toes and there wasn’t an ounce of pain, betrayal, loss and heartache that I didn’t feel along the way. 

Overall, Through the Ever Night was far beyond anything I ever expected. Rossi really outdone herself and all I can say is that I loved every single page of what she created here. 

Read my review for Under the Never Sky, the first book in this amazing trilogy!

1 comment:

  1. YES - my heart absolutely broke for Roar in this, and I cannot stop cheering Rossi for keeping Aria and Roar platonic in this series. Fantastic review,
    Best 1 Stop SEO Links Building

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You rock :] <3