June 16, 2014

REVIEW: The Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose Clarke

The Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose Clarke (The Assassin's Curse #2)
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Publication Date: June 18, 2013
Rating: 5/5 stars
Get it: Amazon | B&N
After setting out to break the curse that binds them together, the pirate Ananna and the assassin Naji find themselves stranded on an enchanted island in the north with nothing but a sword, their wits, and the secret to breaking the curse: complete three impossible tasks. With the help of their friend Marjani and a rather unusual ally, Ananna and Naji make their way south again, seeking what seems to be beyond their reach.

Unfortunately, Naji has enemies from the shadowy world known as the Mists, and Ananna must still face the repercussions of going up against the Pirate Confederation. Together, Naji and Ananna must break the curse, escape their enemies — and come to terms with their growing romantic attraction.

My Review
I fell in love with Cassandra Rose Clarke’s The Assassin’s Curse because of the originality and the creativity of the novel that had so much adventure. She gave me exactly what I wanted from the first book and brought it back into the second with even more action, danger, and even better... some romance!



This book picks up where The Assassin’s Curse left right off with Ananna and Naji stranded on the Isles of the Sky. From there the adventurous tale of these two trying to break the curse begins. Like its predecessor, The Pirate’s Wish takes my favorite duo to many places. Why I fell in love with this duology was clear from the world building alone. Clarke brought in such detail and vibrancy in both books, but so much more in this one. Much of the setting is described so clearly from the unpredictable Isles of the Sky to the beautiful nature in the Island of the Sun, to the rich city of Jokja. Even more so, I appreciated the way in which sailing across the vast sea was described and all the fights that ensued when it came to battling another ship and taking it.

The journey for Ananna and Naji to completing the three tasks was indeed epic and made way for new characters to join in. We get royal manticores, a former noble Empire soldier, a Queen of Jokja, and even talking fish and sharks from an underwater palace. All these character played a role or helped in someway. Marjani, though a recurring character, felt like a new one because so much was revealed about her. She was by far my favorite of them all, well beside the manticore.


I’ve always loved Naji and Ananna because they were so different. They just worked so well together despite their rocky alliance in the beginning. Especially with Ananna’s stubbornness to stay clear of danger and Naji‘s anger and harsh demeanor, these two clash more than once but it created an entertaining and endearing banter more than anything. I liked how Ananna was a lot more assertive in being able to protect herself. Although I did find her to be a little more insecure, she was still that awesome outgoing pirate I loved. Naji was still reserved and brooding, but I adored him because he protected and cared for Ananna even when she didn’t see it. Plus Naji could conjure up some blood magic to kick some serious ass. What’s even better between these two was how Clarke gave me the romance that I was hoping for. She gave me attraction in the first book, but gave me a foundation, substance and kindling romance that held much more depth in this one. It wasn’t legendary or monumental in any shape or form, but it was the perfect amount of affection that really snared my heart. 

Definitely a lot goes on plot wise, but it’s not difficult to read at all. There’s a mixture of revenge, doubt and near death experiences to grab attention. And why I continued to love this book despite the crazy pacing and roller coaster completion of tasks was because it was always unpredictable. I never knew what to expect from the characters or even with the magic that surrounded this book completely. There wasn’t a shortage of pirates, assassins, monsters, and spells. Naji and Ananna go through so much. Tears shed, blood is lost, and life tips in the balance because there was always a threat for them at every corner and I absolutely loved that. 




Overall, The Pirate’s Wish by Cassandra Rose Clarke reminded me why I fell in love with the world she created in The Assassin’s Curse in the first place. She gave me a fit ending and conclusion for my favorite pirate and assassin that still have me thoroughly enchanted.

Check out my review for the first book that started it all - The Assassin's Curse.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of the books by this author! This is a sequel? I haven't read the first book :o BUT PIRATES! I don't read nearly enough pirate books! Probably because there aren't too many in YA lit these days. Epic journey and kickassery - sign me up! :D

    Awesome review, Jess!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You rock :] <3